Alkira Secondary College will again be enrolling students in an Accelerated Class in 2018. Our highly successful program enables students to complete work at their level and fits our stated philosophy of securing the entitlements of all of our students. We are proud that we prepare our students for the rigors of a successful VCE from a young age.
Again, in 2016 as with previous years, a number of our students made the transition to our local select entry school - Nossal High School. We are very proud of the results that we have achieved with these students and wish them the best of luck for the future.
|Friday 10th March||Accelerated Program Application becomes available|
|Friday 26th May||Application and Payments due|
|Saturday 17th June 9:00 – 11:00 am||Testing Date|
|Thursday 10th August||Results Available for entry into the program|
Thank you to all of those students and parents who wish to be a part of the program.
Mr D. Mockridge
At the Alkira Sports Academy we focus on developing the student as a TOTAL ATHLETE. This gives the student the ability to develop physically in their current sport. Students will be supported throughout their entire schooling program with particular attention given to educational/occupational pathways, work/life balance, nutrition and emotional development.
|Due Date - Year 7 applications for 2018 will be due Friday 26th May 2017|
AFL Umpiring Academy
Alkira Secondary College has partnered with AFL Victoria and South East Juniors to provide students with;
· a fully supervised, free of charge after hours sport leadership program delivered by trained coaches.
· the opportunity for participants to attain AFL Umpire Accreditation, hours towards a Duke of Edinburgh Award and credit towards VET units.
· the chance for students to develop their skills and earn income by officiating with local umpiring group (South East Juniors) as field umpires.
Target 40 is an academic mentoring program for students who are seen as having a high potential of success at VCE. The program is designed to support them in achieving their goal of entry into university by having a study score of at least 40.
The program will mean additional classes will be scheduled for students to undertake, before school and after school, with a smaller teacher to student ratio.* Support will be offered across all domain areas but the staff in the program will have particular expertise in both English and Mathematics. Students will work with other high potential students to assist them in the development of skills to improve assessment task results across all of their subjects.
Download Target 40 Program Information Booklet
ACAP is a new way of thinking about an Arts Academy. ACAP applications are open to all students at Alkira Secondary College and ACAP students will be supported to perform original work, form their own bands, dance troupes, theatre groups, film and visual arts clubs and create their own opportunities to share their arts work. Our curricular, co-curricular and extra-curricular programs are linked together to give students the best opportunity to explore the arts, at all stages of their education. There is no membership fee or charge to students who join ACAP, however excursions will attract the appropriate charge for tickets, transport or presenters.
Membership in the group can be maintained by the student's active participation in one or more of our arts programs:
· Enrolment in an arts elective, VCE or VET subject in Year 9, 10, 11 or 12
· Year 7 and Year 8 students can join our ACAP Jnrs program
· Participation in instrumental music lessons
· Joining our ACAP Student Leadership team
· Joining the school production team as a performer or backstage crew member
· Being part of the event management team that hosts lunchtime performances
· Being in a band, dance group or performance troupe and rehearsing and performing regularly
· Joining our tech crew team