Thank-you for your continued interest in Alkira Secondary College’s Special programs (Masterclass and Sports Academy). Please be advised that applications for these programs will occur after all 2021 Year 7 students have been accepted by the college, as per Department Regulations. You will be notified by your primary school when this process begins. All applications and instructions about how to apply will be made available here, on our College webpage, from the beginning of Term 3, 2020 and will need to be submitted to the college before advertised closing dates. Please be aware that all applications for the masterclass program will incur a fee.
Alkira Secondary College has always believed in securing the entitlements of every child. As part of this philosophy, it is imperative that personalised learning occurs for those students who display gifted and talented characteristics. To achieve this, our accelerated and enrichment program has been designed to encourage the achievement of excellence in all gifted and talented students, supporting them to reach their full potential.
Along with a tailored program in the core subjects of English, Mathematics, Science and the Humanities at Years 7 to 9, Masterclass students are provided with the opportunity to develop high level skills in the following areas:
- Critical and creative thinking
- Problem solving strategies
- Collaboration and teamwork
- Self-regulated learning through improved planning, monitoring, and evaluating personal progress against learning standards
At Year 10, all Masterclass students are offered the opportunity to further extend themselves by undertaking up to two VCE subjects in learning areas they have demonstrated a particular aptitude for.
The Alkira Sports Academy takes a total athlete focus when nurturing our students. We take care in supporting our students throughout their entire schooling program, with particular attention towards areas including educational support, work/life balance, periodised programming and emotional development. We have a high priority in helping our Sports Academy students in becoming the best possible version of themselves.
Our key focus areas are providing opportunities for physical development, academic support and chances to develop their leadership skills. This includes:
- Access to Alkira Gymnasium
- Timetabled strength and conditioning sessions (including prehabilitation work)
- Highly productive classes consisting of only Sports Academy students
- Academic monitoring and support throughout the year
- Flexible approach towards learning/deadlines due to high outside of school commitments
- A number of excursions/incursions throughout the year (such as yoga, guest speakers, visits to performance centers, Melbourne Cable Park)
More information regarding our program and processes can be found in the Sports Academy Booklet below.
|Due Date -|
AFL Umpiring Academy
Alkira Secondary College has partnered with AFL Victoria and South East Juniors to provide students with;
· a fully supervised, free of charge after hours sport leadership program delivered by trained coaches.
· the opportunity for participants to attain AFL Umpire Accreditation, hours towards a Duke of Edinburgh Award and credit towards VET units.
· the chance for students to develop their skills and earn income by officiating with local umpiring group (South East Juniors) as field umpires.
ACAP (Alkira Creative Arts Project)
ACAP is a new way of thinking about an Arts Academy. ACAP applications are open to all students at Alkira Secondary College and ACAP students will be supported to perform original work, form their own bands, dance troupes, theatre groups, film and visual arts clubs and create their own opportunities to share their arts work. Our curricular, co-curricular and extra-curricular programs are linked together to give students the best opportunity to explore the arts, at all stages of their education. There is no membership fee or charge to students who join ACAP, however excursions will attract the appropriate charge for tickets, transport or presenters.
Membership in the group can be maintained by the student's active participation in one or more of our arts programs:
· Enrolment in an arts elective, VCE or VET subject in Year 9, 10, 11 or 12
· Year 7 and Year 8 students can join our ACAP Jnrs program
· Participation in instrumental music lessons
· Joining our ACAP Student Leadership team
· Joining the school production team as a performer or backstage crew member
· Being part of the event management team that hosts lunchtime performances
· Being in a band, dance group or performance troupe and rehearsing and performing regularly
· Joining our tech crew team